It’s that time of year again! Time to start “sweeping” out the winter, and welcoming in the Spring. There’s a lot to do and it’s best to keep organized with a Deep Cleaning Checklist Printable. These are the best way to make certain that you’re tackling every single area in your home. It’s no secret that dirt and grime are literally EVERYWHERE, so why even take the risk of missing a spot in your house?
As long as you’re following along with this cleaning checklist, there won’t be an area in your house left uncleaned.
What is Included in a Deep Cleaning?
Deep cleaning goes well above and beyond your regular cleaning cycle. It’s cleaning baseboards, window sills, ceiling fans, and vacuuming out the air ducts in each room. Deep cleaning isn’t typically something that’s done more than 1-2 times per year in most homes, but it’s an important process to keep your home clean, smelling great and healthy.
Every time I do a thorough deep cleaning, I am surprised at how much stuff I end up cleaning. How on earth is it possible that so much dirt accumulates so fast?
How Long Does a Deep Cleaning Take?
This will vary depending on the size of your home and the number of people helping. But, you can estimate that small rooms will take around 45 minutes to clean entirely. Larger rooms will be about 1 1/2 hours. Rooms where we spend more time (like the kitchen) definitely take longer!
But don’t worry too much about it. It is well worth the investment in time, as your home will smell great and you’ll be thrilled at how clean it will be for your family.
Deep Cleaning Checklists For Every Room In Your House
Now that you know how important it is to deep clean your house, let’s get down to the breakdown of what you need to be cleaning in every single room in your home.
How to Deep Clean Your Kitchen
Here are the areas in your kitchen that you need to tackle for a thorough deep cleaning. If you’re like my family, we spend most of our time in the kitchen. Seriously. We spend more time here than even in the living room!
- Wipe down countertops & backsplash
- Wipe down cabinets
- Deep clean microwave with a natural glass cleaner
- Wipe appliances
- Deep clean stove top & oven
- Scrub & disinfect sink and faucet
- Clean garbage disposal
- Discard expired food in pantry, fridge, and freezer
- Clean & organize pantry
- Clean & disinfect fridge and freezer
- Dust & wipe cabinet tops
- Clean & organize cabinets & drawers
- Wash garbage can
How to Deep Clean Your Bathroom
After the kitchen, the bathroom is the next room I prioritize. Definitely grab some of the natural cleaning recipes from this site to help you. You don’t need to spend a fortune on expensive (and caustic) chemicals from the store when you can make your own natural ones at home for a fraction of the price.
Don’t forget to clean these items during your next bathroom deep cleaning!
- Scrub sink & countertops
- Scrub bathtub & tile walls
- Deep clean & polish faucets
- Scrub toilet with natural cleaners
- Wipe down mirrors & cabinets
- Clean & organize inside cabinets and drawers
- Wash/clean shower curtain
- Wash rugs
- Empty trash
- Wash garbage can
How to Deep Clean Your Living Room
Deep cleaning your living room is a breeze with this free printable checklist!
- Wash blankets, pillow covers, and slipcovers
- Dust & polish tabletops
- Clean electronics (It’s amazing how these attract so much dust!)
- Dust & polish mantel, shelves, and picture frames
- Vacuum drapes with dedicated attachment
- Vacuum & wipe chairs and sofas
- Dust & polish all furniture and light fixtures
- Clean & organize media cabinet
How to Deep Clean Bedrooms
Use this checklist for all the bedrooms in your house. Think about how many hours per day you and your family spend sleeping in the bedroom. It’s definitely worth the effort to make sure it gets a deep clean periodically.
- Vacuum/wash drapes
- Wash pillows & bedding
- Dust & polish furniture
- Vacuum drapes with dedicated drapery attachment
- Flip & rotate the mattress
How to Deep Clean the Entryway of Your Home
Make a good first impression for guests by deep cleaning your entryway.
- Dust & polish furniture
- Vacuum & clean welcome mat
- Wipe down baseboards
- Organize shoes & coats
How to Deep Clean Your Office
My husband’s job is encouraging more and more telework. They are calling it a “distributed workforce” but it means that he spends a lot of his day in his office, eating snacks, drinking, and making a mess (and working too, I suppose!) Make sure the workspace is deep cleaned periodically to keep the work environment healthy.
Give yourself a clean workspace with these cleaning tips.
- Dust desk, shelves & furniture
- Dust & disinfect electronics
- Clean windows
- Dust vents
- Organize books & supplies
- Organize cabinets & drawers
How to Deep Clean Your Garage
I always thought of the garage as perpetually “dirty.” It has an unfinished concrete floor and attracts dirt, leaves, dust, oil, etc. But, we enter the house through the garage almost all of the time. So, if the garage is clean, then we won’t track as much dirt into the home. Think of it as your first line of cleaning defense!
- Scrub floors & clean out any oil spills
- Clean out cars
- Organize tools
- Clean up toys & sporting equipment
- Organize any other items in bins
How to Deep Clean Your Closet
It might be a small space but it holds a lot of stuff. Your most used clothes make their way to the front of the closet. So, a good place to start your deep cleaning is the BACK of the closet. Inevitably, this will be where the old or ill-fitting clothes end up. I use the rule-of-thumb that if I haven’t worn it in a year, I give it away. I can guarantee that you won’t even remember it after you give it away.
- Donate/throw away old or unused clothes
- Dust shelves
- Organize & sort the wardrobe
How to Deep Clean Your Dining Room
Cleaning this room is easy and simple to do. I wish I could redesign my house as the last thing I use my dining room for is…well…dining! The table is a homework desk, my bill-paying desk, and if I am lucky, relatively free of clutter. Regardless, make sure the following items are included in your deep cleaning checklist.
- Dust blinds & ceiling fans
- Dust & polish furniture, tables & chairs
- Wipe down shelves & cabinets
- Clean and organize inside cabinets & drawers
- Polish silver
- Vacuum & wash rugs
How to Deep Clean Your Laundry Room
This room always gets overlooked. Which is silly, as that is where you clean your clothes. Why do that in a room that is dirty? It just doesn’t make sense. So, make sure you follow the checklist to get your laundry room deep cleaned.
- Wipe down washer & dryer
- Organize cleaning supplies & replace expired items
- Run the cleaning cycle in the washing machine
- Clean out dryer vents & duct
- Clean the floors
How to Deep Clean Other Areas of Your Home
Don’t forget about cleaning these areas of your home as well.
- Wipe down light switches, doors, and doorknobs
- Dust blinds & window sills
- Wipe down and clean baseboards
- Dust ceiling & corners of the room
- Steam clean carpets
- Polish wood floors
- Wash windows
- Sweep/mop/vacuum floors & rugs
- Replace batteries in smoke/CO2 detectors
- Replace air filters
Essential Tools to Clean Your Home
You will want to collect all of your supplies before starting this process. I hate scrambling to find something after I am in the middle of the project.
As you can tell, this deep cleaning checklist is comprehensive, but just in case it doesn’t include everything you need, I included a blank page for you to fill out.
Get Your Family Involved in Deep Cleaning
I am a firm believer that my family helped to make the mess, and they should be helping to clean it. Following a routine and involving everyone teaches your kids some good lessons. I find age appropriate tasks and delegate to them. My son joking calls it my “leadership,” with a teenager eye-roll to complement it.
Download the FREE Deep Cleaning Checklist Printable
Don’t forget to download the <<<Free Deep Cleaning Checklist>>> so that you can print it and have it to check off everything that you get done room by room!
When it comes to deep cleaning, it’s always good to go above and beyond!