Say goodbye forever to clunky mop buckets and smelly mop heads because the modern electric steam mops offers fast, optimized, and hygienic cleaning. The electric steam mop head is fitted with a microfiber pad that is moistened by a stream of hot steam. That loosens dirt and grime, and the pad scrubs it away. The heat of the steam also works to kill the majority of germs, bacteria, and dust mites it comes into contact with.
Steam mops typically take only a couple minutes to heat up, offering fast cleaning jobs and effective dirt removal. Most steam mops are lightweight and are designed for easy maneuvering.
If you are in a rush, here is our choice for the best electric steam mop in the review!
The BEST Electric Steam Mop currently available
- Detachable Spot Boost Brush
- Scented Disk Trays
- Digital Steam Control
- Two Steam Temperatures
The Best Electric Steam Mops for 2020
|Shark Steam Pocket Mop (S3501)||Euro-pro 1 year (1) limited warranty.||18'||Check Price|
|Top||Bissell Steam Mop, 1806, Sapphire Powerfresh Deluxe||2 year limited warranty||25'||Check Price|
|LIGHT 'N' EASY Steam Mop,7618ANW||1 year limited warranty||20'||Check Price|
|LIGHT 'N' EASY Steam Mop, with Automatic Steam Control, S7338||1 year limited warranty||20'||Check Price|
|LIGHT 'N' EASY Multifunctional Steam Mop, 7688ANW||1-year warranty, plus a free replacement policy.||20'||Check Price|
|Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner||1 year warranty through Steamfast||15'||Check Price|
According to NSF (National Sanitation Foundation), the germiest places in the house are kitchens and bathrooms. It makes sense, right? It has the humid locations where germs will thrive. One of the main perks of steam mops is that the hot temperature of the steam kills up to 99.9% of bacteria it comes into contact with. Gotta love that!
It’s a no-brainer to make the switch from conventional mops to steam mops.
There are many steam mops available, each designed slightly differently with its own unique set of features. We’ve done the research for you to simplify the process of helping you identify the best steam mop for your home!
What are the Best Electric Steam Mops?
List of Best Electric Steam Mops
- Light ‘N’ Easy Floor Steamer 7618ANW
- Light ‘N’ Easy Swivel Head Steam Mop S7339
- Bissel Steam Mop 1806 <-Best Model
- Light ‘N’ Easy Detachable 7688ANW
- Steamfast SF-370WH
- Shark Steam Pocket Mop S3501
1. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Floor Steamer 7618ANW – For Hardwood and Tile
I love the super light weight of this steam mop. It makes cleaning a lot easier!
The unit features “instant heating” which really means that it is ready to start producing steam in about 20 seconds, which is pretty nice.
The manufacturer’s instructions say only to use water in the tank and avoid other ingredients like baking soda or vinegar. To be fair, the steam did a really good job of loosening dirt by itself.
The only real annoying part of this mop is that the water tank is not removable. It is pretty light, but it is awkward to turn this upside down to drain the water.
- Dimensions: 11 x 5.9 x 48.5 inches
- Weight: 3.5 lbs
- Washable microfiber pad included
- Easy to use and lightweight
- 20 ft long cable
- Manual steam control
- 1 year warranty
- Requires a separate purchase of a glider for use on carpets
2. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop S7339 – with Automatic Steam Control
This mop has an intelligent sensor that only produces steam when the mop is moving. If you need a break and keep it still, the steam will stop.
It was surprising how convenient that function was. At first, I didn’t see any steam, but once I started moving it back and forth, it started producing.
Tip: It is easy to trip on the cord unless you attach it to the bracket right below the handle. That keeps the cord up and out from under your feet.
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 50 inches
- Weight: 4.1 pounds
- Automatic steam control movement sensor
- Color: white violet
- Large, 9 ounce water tank
- 1150 Watts
- Lightweight design
- Quick release cord (20-feet)
- 1 year warranty
Another steam mop from LIGHT ‘N’ EASY, only this one offers some upgraded features, including automatic steam release. The lightweight design remains the same, but the square mop head is extra swivel-able with a 360 degree rotation range, and maneuvers effortlessly around corners and tight spaces. The large water tank delivers steam in just 30 seconds after being powered on. Mop pads are easily replaceable.
3. Bissel Steam Mop, 1806 – Sapphire Powerfresh Deluxe
This ultra-lightweight steam mop leaves behind a spring breeze scent as you clean. An attached spot boost brush offers the convenient ability to clean up tough, sticky messes. It’s safe to use on hardwood, ceramic, tile, granite, marble, and linoleum floors. Swivel steering makes it easy to reach tight nooks and crannies. Although the water tank is not detachable, a water cup is included to help fill up the tank easily.
The steam function can be set to high or low heat, and doesn’t use harsh cleaning chemicals.
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 13 x 46 inches
- Weight: 6.2 pounds
- Two washable mop pads included
- Two scent pads included
- Removable steam wand can be used for scrubbing stains
- Multi-grip handle
- Stands up by itself
The extra weight of this steam mop is well worth the ability to remove the base and use it as a removable spot booster. There is a small scrub brush that works wonderfully for small areas that need cleaning.
4. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Steam Mop – Detachable Floor Cleaner 7688ANW
This steam mop offers 3 different intensity settings: high, medium, and low. A smart switch prevents any steam from being released when the steam mop is in an upright and locked position. The steaming unit can be easily detached to be used as a handheld steamer with multiple interchangeable attachments. When detached and used as a hand-held steamer, it can be used on garments, furniture, on kitchen surfaces, and in bathrooms. The steam temperature reaches 110 degrees Celsius, helping to remove stains and kill bacteria and germs. The water tank can be filled with either distilled or tap water for convenience.
- Dimensions: 46.4 x 11.8 x 6.8 inches
- Item weight: 6.3 pounds
- Color: white
- Detaches into a separate handheld steamer for: wrinkle removal on garments, upholstery cleaning, bathroom cleaning, kitchen appliances
- 3 steam settings
- Can be used on any floor surfaces
- One-year warranty
This is another mop that produces steam only when the handle is leaning back or tilted to the side. It’s a safety feature built in that took a bit of getting used to. If the mop is upright and not moving, it won’t produce any steam.
It is much easier to fill the water container on this mop since the unit detaches.
5. Steamfast SF-370WH – Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
This canister steam cleaner offers heavy-duty cleaning capabilities. The large water tank heats the steam to more than 200 degrees Fahrenheit, killing up to 99% of germs and bacteria. Water takes eight minutes to be completely heated and offers up to 45 minutes of continuous steam. The steam control works manually by pressing a release button, or it can be set to automatic for continuous steam.
The steam mop comes with 15 attachable pieces, including a squeegee, brushes, washable pads, scrubbing tools, a steam mop head, and more.
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 12 x 15.3 inches
- 8.4 pounds
- 45 minutes of steam time
- 45 oz water tank capacity
- 15.4 ft power cord
- 15 attachment pieces
- High steam temperature
This is the only tank steam mop we reviewed. While it is heavier than all the other models, you don’t have to lift the tank except to fill and empty it.
The accessories and hose are extremely light and are a great option for people who want versatile steam mopping without the extra weight.
6. Shark Steam Pocket Mop S3501 – Hard Floor Cleaner with Swivel Steering XL Water Tank
This ultralight, swivel steering pocket steam mop is convenient for cleaning any hardwood surfaces. It is ready to go and delivers heated steam in just thirty seconds after being powered up.
After thirty second, pump the handle 5 to 10 times, helping to generate the steam to begin mopping. It comes with two washable microfiber pads to help lift dirt and grime off hard surfaces. The steam heats up to 280 degrees Fahrenheit, killing up to 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria it comes into contact with. The user-friendly design offers a soft grip handle and comfortable steering that make maneuvering easy and strain-free. The 20 foot power cord means that this mop can reach a large surface area without needing to be plugged in and unplugged multiple times throughout each cleaning session.
- Dimensions: 51.2 x 12 x 5.9 inches
- 4.87 pounds
- Includes two washable microfiber pads
- 25 foot power cord
- Kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria
- Handle must be pumped 5 to 10 times to generate the appropriate amount of steam
- Soft-grip handle and easy maneuverability
- One Year Limited Warranty
We included this mop specifically because it does not use a trigger to start the steam. Instead, you pump the handle a few times to prime the unit. This is a good option for people with limited flexibility in their fingers.
How Does A Steam Mop Work?
Steam mops simplify household mopping jobs by utilizing steam generated from a small tank on the body of the device. The water inside of the tank heats up to around 250 degrees Fahrenheit to produce steam. The steam will dampen the microfiber pad on the underside of the mop to penetrate through dirt and stains on flooring. The intense heat also means that up to 99.9% of bacteria and germs are killed, as well as any mites living in your flooring.
Some models feature a double-sided cleaning head, typically one side is slightly more abrasive for cleaning tough stains.
UC Davis Medical center switched from conventional mops to microfiber steam mops after testing showed that the steam mops reduce bacteria by 99%. The medical center also found that using steam mops resulted in less injuries and lowered workers compensation costs.
Why Would You Upgrade To A Steam Mop?
Steam mops are a modern alternative to the traditional household mop. The added advantages of the steam means that bacteria and dust mites are killed. The steam is extremely effective at loosening dirt and grime from even the smallest of nooks and crannies.
How Do You Use a Steam Mop?
Typically lightweight and intuitive, steam mops work simply by heating up water from a small tank and sending a jet of steam down into a mop pad that covers the head. The steam moistens the pad, giving it the ability to loosen dirt and stains off floors with greater ease than traditional mops. Simply wait for the water to heat up and mop away.
How Did We Evaluate The Mops?
Weight and mobility
Generally, the lighter the steam mop, the easier it is to use and maneuver around without causing physical strain or exhaustion during the cleaning process. Some steam mops however, like canister style steam mops, are significantly heavier to lug around, but their advantages shouldn’t be overlooked. When choosing a steam mop, weight and mobility should be taken into consideration to ensure that you are buying one that is the right fit for your cleaning needs.
Steam mops with an easy grip design offer more convenient cleaning and maneuverability. Swivel steering mops help reach around tight corners and offer more optimized mobility.
Water tank size/ease of filling and draining
Larger water tanks are ideal because they require less filling and draining than steam mops with smaller water tanks. Cleaning with a larger water tank helps get the job done faster because it won’t require refilling and reheating halfway through the job.
Temperature/time to heat water
Most steam mops heat up pretty quickly. Larger models tend to take more time to heat up but stay hot faster and may even reach higher temperatures than smaller models.
Ease of cleaning/repairs
Keeping steam mops in their prime condition only requires light general maintenance. It is important to note whether the steam mop you purchase requires distilled water only, as using tap water tends to clog and cause failure to the machines in some models.
Replacement pads/cost/ease of buying
Replacement pads are generally inexpensive and easy to order on Amazon or a plethora of other websites selling household cleaning products.
Mops that come with detachable and washable pads offer the convenience of not having to buy replacement pads as often. Although washable pads may need to be replaced after a few months of use, they usually remain in good condition when washed regularly after uses.
Some steam mops are designed with a removable water tank which makes refilling much more convenient. However, models without removable tanks can be easily filled as well with the help of a water jug or some other container to transfer the water to the tank.
Length of cord
Longer cord lengths offer greater ease of cleaning because they reach a larger surface area and offer the convenience of not needing to replug the cord in various rooms throughout the cleaning job.
Steam mops typically offer a 1-year warranty, however this varies depending on the company and the model.
Customer reviews offer personalized feedback on the steam mops and help to give insight into advantages or disadvantages experienced while using them.
Prices vary depending on quality, size, brand, and design. Although not always the case, the price is not always necessarily reflective of the users experiences with each product so it is important to read reviews before purchasing.
Special attachments for other purposes like cleaning cars, couches, stairs, etc.
Some steam mops come with attachment pieces which replace the main mop head and offer additional mobility for hard to reach places, and for cleaning cars, couches, or stairs.
What surfaces do steam mops clean and which things should be monitored or considered for each?
Nearly all steam mops are designed to clean hardwood flooring. However, check the manufacturer’s recommendations first. A low steam setting is recommended for cleaning hardwood floors.
Steam mops are ideal for being used on tile. The steam is ultra-effective and removes grime and dirt easily.
Steam mops can potentially damage vinyl flooring. Check with the manufacturer first. Some vinyl floors can be safely cleaned using a low steam setting.
Some laminates use treated wood with an aluminum layer. Check with the manufacturer before using steam to clean these. Using hot steam over time on this surface may degrade it and eventually ruin it completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does steam always come out of the head?
- Yes, steam always comes out of the head. However, some steam mop models are automatic and some are manual. Automatic models release steam without needing to pump a release button like manual models do.
- Does this clean grout too?
- Steam cleaners are fantastic for cleaning grout. The hot steam pours into small nooks and crannies in the grout, helping to loosen dirt and eliminate grime effectively on these surfaces.
- What type of water should I use?
- Distilled water is ideal and is typically the safest because tap water will clog some models. However, for the sake of convenience, some models are designed to be able to function from tap water. Just be sure to double check before filling!
- What maintenance is required?
- So long as the steam mop is properly taken care of, very little maintenance is required. Some models may require pad replacements after the washable pads have worn out.
- What stair surfaces can steam mops be used on (wood, plush, tight woven, etc)?
- Steam mops can be safely used on most hardwood surfaces, but typically only if they are sealed and treated. Other stair surfaces, such as tile or carpet, can also safely be cleaned with steam mops.
- How do you store the mop?
- The tank doesn’t necessarily need to be drained after each use, but it may prolong the life of the steam mop if it is. Most steam mops are easy to store because of their compact design. Just simply wrap the power cord and store in a small space until the next use.
- How do you clean the microfiber cloth pad?
- Microfiber pads can be cleaned in the washing machine on a delicate setting. They can also be washed by hand with soap and water. Many of them are easily replaced as well.
- Can you add chemicals or essential oils to the water tank?
- It is not recommended to add anything to the water tank as it poses the risk of clogging the tank.
We hope that our electric steam mop guide was thorough enough to assist you in finding the best steam mop for your needs!