Microfiber cleaning cloths have become a buzzword in households. They are so addicting to use and once you try them, you are going to be won over as well.
These handy cleaning tools have much more magic than what meets the eye. Although they look similar to an average wash cloth, they are made from polymers instead of cotton and contain thousands of tiny fibers that work wonders for lifting dirt and grime off of a variety of surfaces. The fibers in the cloths are positively charged, and dirt, dust, and debris are negatively charged. So the fibers literally attract dirt, dust, and debris like a magnet. Plus, these cloths are designed to eliminate the need for chemical cleaning products. Just simply add water to the cloths to dampen them, then easily wipe dirt, grime, and grease away.
There is an array of different microfiber cleaning cloths available, so we’ve simplified the process for you to help you find the best ones for your household cleaning needs. We’ve added some additional information and answers to any questions you might have regarding microfiber cleaning cloths to help get you started.
- Saves money by eliminating the need to buy and use chemical cleaners, paper towels, and other cleaning products.
- Lasts longer than other cleaning cloths and rags.
- Better for the environment since the majority of cleaning jobs performed with microfiber cloths can be done just by using water and without any chemicals or commercial cleaning products.
- Easily lifts bacteria and grime from a wide variety of surfaces.
- Leaves no lint, scratches, or streaks behind after cleaning.
- Won’t scratch glass or delicate surfaces.
- Are very easy to clean and to maintain.
- The fibers are designed to lift dirt and other particles effortlessly.
- Can clean most surfaces just using water.
🧼 How to Use
Bear in mind that different companies make different microfiber cloths specialized for different cleaning jobs. For instance, some microfiber cloths might be more effective at cleaning glass while others are designed for dusting. Either way, most microfiber cleaning cloths are multipurpose and can be used for a variety of household cleaning jobs. Here are some of the best ways to use your microfiber cloths for cleaning and how to do it:
- Cleaning mirrors and glass: Use a lightly damped microfiber cloth to give the surface a good wipedown, then use a dry microfiber cloth to buff the area until all grime, streaks, and moisture is lifted. No glass cleaner needed!
- Kitchen surfaces such as stoves, countertops, and appliances: Simply use a damped microfiber cloth to wipe down all surfaces and then let them air dry naturally. For extra stubborn grease spills and messes, use a homemade cleaning spray or natural all-purpose cleaner to help the fibers lift the stains more effortlessly.
- Bathroom surfaces such as sinks, toilets, showers, and floors: I highly recommend keeping a designated “toilet” microfiber cloth somewhere in your bathroom so that it solely and only gets used for that surface so that no other surfaces are contaminated with toilet germs. For all other surfaces, simply just use the damped microfiber cloths to give everything a good ol’ wipedown. For stubborn soap scum stains or toothpaste messes, just a little homemade vinegar solution to give the cloths a little extra cleaning power.
- Stainless steel appliances and chrome fixtures: Damped microfiber cloths give great results while cleaning these surfaces. Use a dry microfiber cloth afterwards to buff away any streaks if you like!
- Mopping floors: Use a Swiffer-style “mop” and attach a damped microfiber cloth to the head in the same way you would with a disposable wet cloth. Microfibers are ultra efficient for mopping floors when used this way!
- Dusting surfaces: Dry microfiber cloths effortlessly attract lint, and other particles. Just wipe down surfaces that need to be dusted with a dry microfiber cloth and viola!
- Everyday spills and messes: Use a damped microfiber cloth to quickly wipe away any spills or messes.
- Baseboards: A good scrub-down with a damped microfiber cloth does the trick. But for baseboards that are sticky or particularly grimy, use a spritz of vinegar to help the microfiber cloths lift the gunk.
📌 Top Picks
The more fibers, the better. The fibers are actually what are doing the heavy duty cleaning work. For reference, some of the best quality microfiber cloths have up to 3 million fibers per square inch and last for more than 300 washings! Lower quality, all-purpose, microfiber cloths may have around 50,000 fibers per square inch or less, and only last for around 100 washings.
Here are some of the best microfiber cloths available on the market
There are all kinds of microfiber cleaning cloth packs available, so much so that it can be dizzying trying to narrow it down and find the right ones. These are our top picks based on quality, functionality, and user ratings and reviews.
This premium set includes 5 microfiber cleaning cloths. It earned its place at the top of our list because it is the perfect starter pack for anyone needing a general set of microfiber cloths to be used for a variety of household cleaning applications. Four of the cloths are for general cleaning purposes and one of the cloths is specially designed for cleaning and polishing glass surfaces. The cloths can clean a multitude of surfaces dry or wet, when used in combination with water and without any need for chemical cleaning solutions. These high-quality microfiber cloths have been lab-tested to eliminate grease, grime, food spills, and fingerprints from countertops, stainless steel, floors, cupboards, appliances, and more just by using water. Let these cloths be your all-in-one moppers, polishers, wipes, dusters, and scrubbers!
- 3.2 million fibers per square inch
- Lasts up to 300 washes
- 4 general cleaning cloths
- 1 cloth is specially designed for cleaning and polishing glass surfaces
The concept of microfiber cleaning cloths took a cool twist with these handy microfiber cleaning mitts. They use the same material that other microfiber cleaning cloths are made from, except that these fit on your hands for ultra convenient cleaning. The mitts are made with ultra soft microfiber material that can be used to wet or dry clean on nearly any surface. They remove grease, grime, smudges, and spills with ease, without leaving any scratches, streaks, or lint behind. Not only are they super easy to use, but they are also practical and comfortable to wear.
These colorful microfiber cleaning cloths come in a pack of 50 for an unbeatable price (they are also available in a pack of 150 for commercial cleaning needs.) They come with 10 of each color: yellow, green, blue, white, and orange. Different colors can be assigned for different cleaning jobs to avoid cross-contamination (ex: white towels are designated for cleaning toilets, yellow towels for kitchen, green for shower/sink, etc…) The cloths use scratch resistant technology which guarantees no scratches or streaks will be left behind on any surface. These cloths are even gentle enough to be used as a washcloth for hands or face. The quick-dry design is also highly absorbent. These are designed to be used for dry or wet cleaning, and don’t require any chemical solutions, just a bit of water can get tough cleaning jobs done with ease. They come with a manufacturer money back guarantee in the event that you are not satisfied with these cloths for any reason.
- Pack of 50
- 10 in each color: green, yellow, blue, white, orange
- Scratch resistant technology
- Quick-dry design
- Highly absorbent
- Washing machine friendly
- Made from 80% polyester and 20% polyamide
This set of 8 microfiber cloths comes in 4 different colors. They are made from a blend of 80% polyester and 20% polyamide to collect dirt, dust, grime, and grease. These can be used for a variety of applications, including car detailing, dish cleaning, face and body, dusting, mopping, and more. They hold up to 5x their weight in liquid, which makes them ultra-absorbent and fantastic for cleaning spills and liquid messes. These high-quality cloths are built to last for up to 300 washings.
This 8-pack of superior quality microfiber cleaning cloths comes with 6 blue glass cleaning cloths and 2 green general cleaning cloths. The green cloths are designed to be cleaned in combination with water or dry (for dusting purposes) while the blue cloths are designed to be used to then dry the surfaces made wet by the green cloths. This two-step method with the two different color cloths is designed to give the same results as the conventional “spray and wipe” method used with spray cleaners, except these cloths eliminate the need for commercial cleaners and only require water. These cloths can be washed hundreds of times.
This 36-count pack of multi-colored microfiber cloths are designed to be used for a variety of cleaning purposes. They can be used wet (just add a little bit of water) or dry, to clean, dry, dust, polish, mop, and wipe a multitude of surfaces around your garage, office, bathroom, kitchen, and car. These cloths have 110,000 fibers per square inch and are designed to absorb 8x their own weight in water. They come in three different colors to designate different cleaning jobs for different colored cloths to avoid cross-contamination. These cloths are designed to leave no lint, streaks, or scratches behind and are safe to use on any surface.
One of the main benefits of using microfiber cloths is how easy it is to keep them cleaned and maintained. To keep your microfiber cloths in great condition, follow these tips:
- Liberally rinse (or even soak them for a few hours in a soapy solution if they’re in need of it) the cloths, ring them out, and then hang them to dry.
- NEVER use bleach or fabric softeners on the cloths. Always wash them in regular laundry detergent. Anything else can break down the structural integrity of the fibers, making them dull and less effective for cleaning purposes.
- Hanging them to dry is best. But if you need to dry them in the dryer, make sure to use a gentle or low heat setting.
- Ideally machine wash them alone, only with other microfiber cloths in the load, in a gentle or delicate setting.
Now that you all the top picks and know how you use them, start practicing with them in your cleaning routine and let us know how you like them. What is your favorite way to use them?